Septic System Drainfield Cleaner
What is OXY-SEPTIC?
OXY-SEPTIC is a new Natural Choices' oxygen bleach especially formulated for use in septic systems. It is an environmentally safe product that naturally reacts with the buildup of sulfides in the drainfield (also called leach fields or absorption fields). This chemical reaction produces oxygen and a nontoxic material which flows and allows the soil's bacteria to work. The oxygen does two things: 1) aids the growth of the soil's natural bacteria and 2) reduces the soil compaction creating passages for water to flow. There are no toxic by-products left in the soil after using OXY-SEPTIC.
OXY-SEPTIC is added to the system after the septic tank to remove organic materials and sulfides clogging the drainfield pipes. If OXY-SEPTIC is introduced before the tank, it will react with the waste in the tank and have no effect on the drainfield. When OXY-SEPTIC is poured directly into the distribution box, it will be distributed into the drainfield as water flows. For a detailed diagram of the components of a septic system check out the following EPA link.
"I recently ordered two cases (eight jars) of Oxy-Septic in the hopes of using them on two drain fields that were giving us trouble, one of which was completely water logged. Much to my amazement, both drain fields appear to now be working fine after the first treatment. We have added the second jar to each, and will add a third jar in another week..." -Gary
Oxy-Septic - Four 9 pound tubs (36 pounds total)
How does OXY-SEPTIC work?
OXY-SEPTIC is primarily composed of sodium percarbonate which is made by treating natural soda ash with oxygen. In this process the soda ash picks up oxygen and then releases it when added to water. The released oxygen breaks down organic matter and sulfides clogging your drainfield pipes without killing the helpful bacteria in your septic system. Oxygen bleach produces no harmful by-products which negatively affect the environment. It is important that OXY-SEPTIC be added directly to the Distribution Box (NOT the Septic Tank) so that this chemical reaction can take place in the drainfield.
Why use OXY-SEPTIC instead of Septic Scrub and other similar product?
Because OXY-SEPTIC is the same high-quality product sold a more economical price. Since we manufacture and distribute it ourselves, we are able to offer it at a greater savings to our customers.
Because Natural Choices manufactures the highest quality, most complete line and best performing oxygen bleach cleaning products sold anywhere. We guarantee it!! If you are dissatisfied with any of our products for any reason we will refund your purchase price plus any shipping costs.
Why is Natural Choices making a septic system product?
While we are not experts at how septic systems work (see one of the links below to learn more about how you septic system works), we ARE a leader in the oxygen bleach household products industry. We see OXY-SEPTIC as another application for our oxygen bleach technology, making it a natural fit into our product mix. We want to give Natural Choices customers the opportunity to buy their septic maintenance products from the company they have trusted for years.
What else can I do to keep my septic system healthy?
- Septic tanks should be pumped periodically to keep them from overflowing and clogging the drainfield with solid matter. The frequency depends upon the size of the tank and the size of your household.
- Conserve and spread out water use.
- Be careful of what is put into your septic system. The overuse of heavy cleaners kills beneficial bacteria in the septic tank preventing solids from breaking down efficiently. You may want to consider using some of Natural Choices' environmentally-friendly cleaning products instead of more toxic household cleaners. Minimize the solids placed into your waste water. Several of the websites below contain detailed lists of what NOT to let enter your septic system.
- Protect your drainfield from damage by heavy equipment, plant roots, and construction.
- For more information consult one of the links below.
Uses and Instructions
Maintaining or Restoring A Septic System Drainfield
- Have the tank periodically pumped.
- Locate the distribution box - the professional who pumps the tank should be able to help with this. If you cannot access your distribution box or if your septic system contains drywells and cesspools, consult the Arcan website and follow the instructions for Septic Scrub (www.arcan.com). If the box is buried deeply, consider installing a riser on it to gain access. OXY-SEPTIC will only work when added between the septic tank and the drainfield.
- Several Days Prior to Use: Remove standing water from the drainfield if possible. Pump the distribution box until no more water flows from drainfield. Allow the drainfield to dry out for a few days.
- Day 1: Add nine pounds of OXY-SEPTIC to the distribution box. Run hose for 15 minutes into distribution box to distribute OXY-SEPTIC throughout lateral pipes.
- For best results, repeat
step 4 procedure three more times on Days 3, 5, and 7.
Ingredients: Sodium Percarbonate, Soda Ash
Sizes Available: Case of four 9 pound tubs.
Become a Distributor
Distributorships are available to qualified septic system professionals. To request information about becoming an OXY-SEPTIC distributor, contact Customer Service.
Natural Choices is not liable for any septic system damage resulting from the misuse of our product.
Due to the many factors that can be the cause of drain fields not flowing properly, we no longer offer a performance guarantee on Oxy-Septic. There is no way to guarantee that a drain field will never fail even under the best of conditions. There are many factors which determine the water absorption capabilities of a drain field. The most common causes of drain field failure are 1) hydraulic overloading, i.e. too much water for the ability o the soil system to absorb in a timely manner; 2) excessive biomat formation, i.e. too much waste passing to the drain field, which decreases the amount of oxygen available and leads to anaerobic conditions; 3) poor site evaluation and system design or installation; 4) compaction of the soil in the drain field during installation or afterwards; 5) soil-mineral bonding, i.e. this is probably more important in high clay soils.
While Oxy-Septic can be used to assist in helping a drain field perform better, it cannot overcome many of the problems cited above. Before purchasing Oxy-Septic please make sure that you have ruled out other factors that would prevent Oxy-Septic from performing properly. Please contact us with any questions.
Informational Links (the following links contain valuable information about septic systems)
Handyman USA - The Care and Feeding of your Septic System
How Stuff Works - How Septic Systems Work
Michigan State University Extension - What is Septic System Failure
National Environmental Services Center - Septic System Information
North Carolina State University - Septic System User Guide
North Carolina State University - Septic Systems and their Maintenance
Septic System Information Website
Septic System Maintenance
This Land - 57 Ways to Protect Your Home Environment (and Yourself)